I loathe the new black wheelie bins.

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Adora

I loathe the new black wheelie bins.

Postby Adora » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Thread title says it all really - useless things so they are! Too small and too light.

Just watched mine and my neighbours collide in the middle of the road! :o Gusts out there must be 40+mph tonight - and most of the neighbours have their bins out ready for collection tomorrow - s'gonna be like a year's worth of fly tipping down our way in the morning! :(

Adamski

Re: I loathe the new black wheelie bins.

Postby Adamski » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Adora,

Why were they put out so early when the forecast was so bloomin awful! I left mine till 7am this morning and it was fine. As I was driving through the Lyndhurst estate 5 mins later, it was like a bomb site with bins all over the shop. Bit of common was needed last night ;)

Adora

Postby Adora » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Commonsense - moi? :o :lol:

I thought I was being a right clever-cloggs, remembering to put the damn things out on the right day (Well, evening before the right day!) ! Me, get up in time to get the bins out for 7am? :o Not a chance! :lol: :oops:

Blue Grover

Postby Blue Grover » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Adora wrote:Commonsense - moi? :o :lol:

I thought I was being a right clever-cloggs, remembering to put the damn things out on the right day (Well, evening before the right day!) ! Me, get up in time to get the bins out for 7am? :o Not a chance! :lol: :oops:

Posted this on "the other place." Just about got three bags into our micro black bin on Friday. Three food bags in my correctly sized green bin. No collection now for two weeks of the back bin. Advice requested on how to get six bags into the black bin!

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Blue Grover wrote: Advice requested on how to get six bags into the black bin!

3 in your's 3 in next door's :twisted:

Think laterally :ugeek:

Belvoir

Postby Belvoir » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:18 am

Blue Grover wrote:
Adora wrote:Commonsense - moi? :o :lol:

. Advice requested on how to get six bags into the black bin!

The whole idea is to cut down on what we put in our 'black' bins!! :!:

Adora

Postby Adora » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 am

Well, we've been conducting an experiment........we've recycled for ages but for the past five days, we've really focused on it and not made any mistakes or been half-hearted. The black bin stuff is only that waste which cannot be recycled. We are a family of four (2 adults, 2 under 10 year old children).

The black bin was emptied last Friday. It is now only Tuesday morning. It's half full already. We still have one week and 3 days to go until the next collection. It's not gonna fit! :roll:

Packaging is the new threat to society! :x It is ridiculous how much packaging is used which is made of an non-recyclable nature. ("non-recyclable - is that a real word or have I just invented it? :oops: :lol: )

Blue - compacting is my only suggestion. Take one, smallish child, lift them into bin, hold firmly under the arm-pits and get them to bounce up and down on the rubbish! The rubbish then compacts and squashes right down to the bottom of the black bin, only to rest there for ever more because when the bin is tipped up on the bin waggon, it's that firmly compressed, it won't come out :lol:

Or do like Zzippy says and sneak it in to your neighbour's! :lol:

I'm taking bets - how long before fly-tipping starts? :roll:

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:27 am

Adora wrote:Take one, smallish child, lift them into bin,

Or if you can't find a suitable child a cat will do. :lol:

Adora

Postby Adora » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:36 pm

nedsram wrote:
Adora wrote:Take one, smallish child, lift them into bin,

Or if you can't find a suitable child a cat will do. :lol:

Ned, did you see the YouTube clip where somebody dressed up as Sylvester the Cat and they did a spoof of the old gal chucking kitty in the bin? :lol: (I'm laughing about the spoof there by the way, not the real woman throwing the real cat in the bin! :evil: )

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:32 pm

Our cat tells me that she's totally resistant to any suggestion that I use her rear end to tamp down the contents of the black bin simply because my children, having grown up and left home, are unavailable, and she threatens to report me to the RSPCA if I venture to raise the subject with her again. As I like to be sure I'm on the high moral ground when dealing with people in dark uniforms and peaked caps, I'm inclined to take her seriously.

Anyway, I reckon a child would be a more appropriate implement for tamping down; they're usually larger and heavier than the average cat, and their wriggling longer legs would squash the rubbish down better in the corners, not just in the middle like a cat would do.

More seriously, I think the small bins are likely to be inadequate for larger families. With just the two of us here, the binlet is quite big enough, but I reckon it'll be more than half full by collection time. And we compost everything - even the contents of the vacuum cleaner and cat litter, on the rare occasions that the cat uses it. I can't imagine the binlet being enough for a family of six or more. But I think you can ask the Council for a larger one in such circumstances?

The hard fact is that we all either compost more, or end up paying more council tax because the Council's being fined for overusing landfill. No point in moaning about the EU being behind the regulations which create that situation - and it does come from the EU - because the Council can't opt out of the EU! My guess is that we've got binlets to try to make us bin less, and recycle still more. Some people are keen recyclers, but, from the look of some of the transparent blue bags that we used to have, one hell of a lot of Stockport folk were still binning recycleables.
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”