Crafty scam.

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

John Ellis

Crafty scam.

Postby John Ellis » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:46 pm

This came my way, which people might like to be aware of:

Postal Scam:

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655.

For more information, see the Crime Stoppers website:
http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/crime-p ... ivery-scam
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

nedsram

Re: Crafty scam.

Postby nedsram » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:51 pm

John Ellis

Re: Crafty scam.

Postby John Ellis » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:30 am

I know - now! - I've now had an e-mail apologizing for the alarm, and giving the same information. Looks like some bored soul is trying to create some pre-festive panic. The initial warning came my way from a public sector source in Stockport, which is why I took it seriously.

Though it probably does no harm to be alert. I reckon I can usually recognize a scam when I see it - that lad who was convicted for fraudulently obtaining money by pretending he did a sponsored parachute jump in aid of the Wellspring came to our house trying it on, and I was totally positive within a couple of minutes that he was a fraudster.

But there are so many companies in the parcel business these days that I might have been taken in by a card through my door - especially at this time of year when we all may be in line for unexpected goodies. Though the rather odd phone number might have sounded an alarm ....
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”