Possible Council Tax scam.

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

John Ellis

Possible Council Tax scam.

Postby John Ellis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Just come by this, which - unlike the last "scam warning" that I posted :oops: - does seem to be current. It came from Age Concern Stockport on November 29th.

Please be advised that we have been informed of a company targeting the area with leaflets claiming that Council Tax bandings are incorrect. The company are then attempting to arrange an appointment to discuss this further.

We would advise in the first instance that you can check your own council tax band by visiting the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) website at
www.voa.gov.uk which advises that if you feel your band is wrong, you can speak with them with no fee to pay. Your local VOA office Number is 0845 602 1507.

You could also contact the Council Tax offices at Stockport Council on 0161 474 6064.

I think you can bet that any company leafleting about this would be looking to make a charge to anyone who responded!
Last edited by John Ellis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

nedsram

Re: Possible Council Tax scam.

Postby nedsram » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:51 pm

This one appears genuine, and there is a warning about people phoning here.

The aim seems to be to con people into providing bank details so that they can obtain a "refund". The fraudsters then raid the victim's bank account.

John Ellis

Re: Possible Council Tax scam.

Postby John Ellis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Mansfield! You [I]do[/] keep your ear to the ground, ned.

No indication in the information that I've got that Hazel Grove is being particularly targeted, but Age Concern have directed their warning borough-wide, so my guess is that these leaflets have popped up in more than one area.
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”