Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Blue Grover

Re: 2011

Postby Blue Grover » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Adora wrote:Ah, here's my crew - I hoped you'd all get here eventually! The t'other forum's got a bit intense just lately but there's only so much rubbish you can read about eh?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave - what the 'ell are the penguins about?

John - Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod :lol: (I just found that via Google - might come in handy one day) :lol:

Crew! I prefer a witty and handsome band of contributors to this forum.

Adora

Postby Adora » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:18 am

Of course I meant witty and handsome (never clapped eyes on you Blue but I'm sure you're a bit of lovliness to the eye) :lol:

We're a few folk missing though - where's Grover and Belvoir and Oscarsmum etc?

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Adora, there's been a serious decline in the numbers of llyswennod along y Mor Hafren so I can't believe this is a real problem! In any case, if the llyswennod got into your hofrenfad, it would no longer be yn hofran but rather yn suddo dan y ddwr!

And, nedsram, you're spot on - fy is indeed pronounced "vuh".
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:34 pm

John Ellis wrote:Adora, there's been a serious decline in the numbers of llyswennod along y Mor Hafren so I can't believe this is a real problem! In any case, if the llyswennod got into your hofrenfad, it would no longer be yn hofran but rather yn suddo dan y ddwr!

And, nedsram, you're spot on - fy is indeed pronounced "vuh".

Thanks John. Even having worked out what some of those words mean, I remain bemused as to the meaning of your musings. :?:

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Fair comment. I thought on-line translation would do the trick, but I guess there's a limit to what you can do with that without some preliminary acquaintance with the language. :geek:

Llysywen (plural llyswennod or llysywod) is an eel. Hofrenfad is a hovercraft. Y Mor Hafren is the Bristol Channel. Yn hofran means hovering and yn suddo dan y ddwr is sinking under the water. A hovercraft full of eels would presumably have first ceased to hover!

Actually, to be grammatically correct, mor and dwr should have a circumflex over the "o" and the "w", but if that can be done in here, I'm not remotely techie enough to manage it! :cry:

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:13 pm

John Ellis wrote:Actually, to be grammatically correct, mor and dwr should have a circumflex over the "o" and the "w", but if that can be done in here, I'm not remotely techie enough to manage it! :cry:

You mean as in Ynys Môn or Siân Lloyd?

Have a look here. Under Extended ASCII Codes, find the three digit sequence for the character you want to display. For ô it's 147. Make sure NumLock is on, then to get the ô displayed, hold down the Alt key and press 147 on the numeric keypad. :ugeek: I can't see one for w though. I don't think the Yanks had Welsh in mind when they dreamt this lot up. I doubt it they even knew it existed. :shock: (Yanks? ASCII = American Standard Code for Information Interchange.)

Adora

Postby Adora » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Oh Gawd, me head hurts....Ned, what did he say? What did he say? Was it rude? :?

Adora

Postby Adora » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:53 pm

If all the eels got in to MY hovercraft, it would be a sinking ship?!

Are you suggesting I am incapeable of captaining a poxy hovercraft full of eels John?

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Adora wrote:Oh Gawd, me head hurts....Ned, what did he say? What did he say? Was it rude? :?

Ni taeogaidd Adora. :lol:

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 am

Intriguing - never knew such a thing existed!
nedsram wrote: I can't see one for w though. I don't think the Yanks had Welsh in mind when they dreamt this lot up. I doubt it they even knew it existed. :shock: (Yanks? ASCII = American Standard Code for Information Interchange.)

"W" is an additional vowel in Welsh, not a consonant. It makes a sort of "U" sound in the front of the mouth - so, for example, cwm (= a valley) is pronounced exactly like someone from the north of England would pronounce "come". The circumflex lengthens the vowel sound, so the "u" turns into an " ooo".

I don't know any other language which uses "w" as a vowel, so US ignorance is perhaps pardonable. Not that most of them know - or, usually, care - much about anything beyond their chunk of land that extends "from sea to shining sea"! :roll:

Adora wrote:Are you suggesting I am incapable of captaining a poxy hovercraft full of eels John?
Nah - I'm saying that (1) there's not enough eels left unfished to fill a hovercraft, and (2) that if there were, the hovercraft would have had to sink first or the little b****rs wouldn't have been able to swim into it ... ! :mrgreen: :lol:

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”