Parking

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs

Sam12

Parking

Postby Sam12 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:42 am

What is going on at the Civil hall/Waitrose car park?

Twice within a week I haven't been able to find a single parking space. People were cruising round waiting for someone to come out of Waitrose and vacate a space. I couldn't get a space yesterday morning at approx. 10 am. so went off and did something else. When I came back a couple of hours later it was still completely full.

My other half had an early doctors appointment last week and had to drive round for 10 mins. waiting for a space.

Yesterday, Waitrose wasn't that busy so where were all these people? Any ideas?

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Re: Parking

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:31 pm

As mentioned in the November Poynton news ...Why Waitrose will issue fines for parkers hogging the front rows, ruining their business.
I really hope they are doing it. It will help people do short visits to other places as well as Waitrose.
Poynton is a much less hostile place in the evening. With lots of parking places and pavement shared-use?-space.

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:34 pm

No prob 2day drove in 9.45, parked, shopped & drove out

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 pm

On the subject of Waitrose..What is the health and safety problem with the front road side of the building? I couldn't see any obvious damage.

aardvark

Postby aardvark » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:14 pm

From walking past regularly, I'd say it was potentially the same as on the side by the car park entrance, where part of the facade has sagged, leading to some of the bricks coming loose. If you look carefully at the side facing Park Lane you can see a similar sagging issue, though not as great, so it's no doubt a precaution in case bricks fall out of there too.

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:55 pm

The problem relates to poor design/build where 2 rows of soldier course bricks have been designed/built over the lintels & no bricktor or wall ties above 1st course leading to sagging(would have not only looked better but been structurally better if built in bond). No bricks have come loose, they were cut out for cavity inspection for remedial report

aardvark

Postby aardvark » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:29 pm

POYNTONIAN 1 wrote:No bricks have come loose, they were cut out for cavity inspection for remedial report

OK, fair enough. But presumably there's some kind of H&S risk - they wouldn't fence it off if it was only cosmetic, would they?

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:03 pm

Not really but elf & safety went mad years ago, mayb a slight prob below entrance road opp Vernon but non on Park La elevation as it would fall in planters. Waitrose have now moved Heras fencing in on entrance as they were in breach of Highways law by fencing off all the footpath making pedestrians walk in the road or cross without providing safe path on that side

Return to “Poynton Forum”