Beware smoke alarm

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

CheshireFire

Re: Beware smoke alarm

Postby CheshireFire » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:50 am

Smoke Alarms save lives and we believe that everyone should have one installed and working in their home.

However, from time to time we receive reports of bleeping smoke detectors. If your smoke detector is bleeping please follow these instructions:

• Try pushing the hush/reset button to see if that silences the bleeping

• If the noise persists you should first check if it is either a battery operated device or a mains powered one.

• If it is a mains wired detector you will need to contact a qualified electrician to look into the problem.

• If it is a battery operated device you should contact the manufacturer, Sprue Safety Products, for further advice about what to do. There can be contacted by telephone on 02476 323232 or by email at info@sprue.com

Please remember that removing the smoke alarm will put both you and your family at greater risk from fire.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:11 am

We have three smoke alarms from different manufacturers. They are all battery operated, and in each case the battery can easily be replaced. In my experience, an occasionally beeping smoke alarm usually means that the battery needs replacing. And also from experience, don't get an "el cheapo" battery, get a reputable brand. I've tried replacing a battery with a supermarket own brand one, only for the beeping to continue. Putting a new Duracell battery in silenced it. (Not a plug for Duracell, and they are not a Which? best buy for AA batteries, although what's needed is a 9V battery and I can't find a Which? test for those.)

Of course if it isn't battery operated, or the battery is "hard wired", the above doesn't apply. I have no experience of smoke detectors fitted by the fire service.

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Loobyloo wrote:..... We'd have been better off keeping the ones that the Firebrigade took down at the start. They worked fine

I don’t get this either. :? Surely more is better and the Fire brigade could have tested that the existing alarms were working ok and replaced faulty / added extra ones if necessary. :D

Value for money wise it sounds more like an Arthur Daley part-ex :?

keioak

Postby keioak » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:52 pm

The FireAngel type fitted by Cheshire Fire are sealed battery type. If they start chirping for no apparent reason, contact FireAngel direct and they will send out a replacement. Might ask you to return in a pre-paid envelope

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 am

The Fire Angel smoke alarm is a photocell type that literally detects smoke. The other common type is ionisation detector that will be sensitive to a non or less smokey flaming fire.
For early warning, it is recommended to have both types.

http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/smoke-alarms/ionization-vs-photoelectric

Return to “Poynton Forum”